
It wasn’t until last weekend when I really thought about the food I buy, where it comes from and what is done to it before it gets to me. I went to see the film Food Inc. and I was shocked, horrified and disturbed. In the film Food Inc. reveals surprising—and often shocking truths—about what we eat, how it's produced, who we have become as a nation and where we are going from here. The film also exposes America's industrialized food system and its effect on our environment, health, economy and workers' rights.
I was always under the assumption the USDA and FDA looked out for our best interest when it came to food safety, but I soon found out these government run agencies are just as guilty as the mega food corporations who put profit ahead of safety, health, the environment and even the American farmer! I encourage all of you to view this film and at the end ask yourself will you change the way you shop, purchase certain brands and even the foods you eat. I know it has for me! The vegetarian diet is much more appealing than ever to me. Not only for health benefits, but also for saving cruelty to the animals we slaughter and the inhumane work environments these mega farm workers go through. Bring back the American Farmer.
Check out this website for more details on the film and Hungry for change:
http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php
I was always under the assumption the USDA and FDA looked out for our best interest when it came to food safety, but I soon found out these government run agencies are just as guilty as the mega food corporations who put profit ahead of safety, health, the environment and even the American farmer! I encourage all of you to view this film and at the end ask yourself will you change the way you shop, purchase certain brands and even the foods you eat. I know it has for me! The vegetarian diet is much more appealing than ever to me. Not only for health benefits, but also for saving cruelty to the animals we slaughter and the inhumane work environments these mega farm workers go through. Bring back the American Farmer.
Check out this website for more details on the film and Hungry for change:
http://www.foodincmovie.com/about-the-film.php
10 simple things you can do to change our food system:
1. Stop drinking sodas & other sweetened beverages
2. Eat at home instead of eating out
3. Support the passage of laws requiring chain restaurants to post calorie information on menus and menu boards.
4. Tell schools to stop selling sodas, junk food, and sports drinks.
5. Meatless Mondays—Go without meat one day a week.
6. Buy organic or sustainable food with little or no pesticides.
7. Protect family farms; visit your local farmer's market.
8. Make a point to know where your food comes from—READ LABELS.
9. Tell Congress that food safety is important to you.
10. Demand job protections for farm workers and food processors, ensuring fair wages and other protections.
1. Stop drinking sodas & other sweetened beverages
2. Eat at home instead of eating out
3. Support the passage of laws requiring chain restaurants to post calorie information on menus and menu boards.
4. Tell schools to stop selling sodas, junk food, and sports drinks.
5. Meatless Mondays—Go without meat one day a week.
6. Buy organic or sustainable food with little or no pesticides.
7. Protect family farms; visit your local farmer's market.
8. Make a point to know where your food comes from—READ LABELS.
9. Tell Congress that food safety is important to you.
10. Demand job protections for farm workers and food processors, ensuring fair wages and other protections.
No comments:
Post a Comment